Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Penley House

Picture of property 3400 Penley Drive
Wichita (Sedgwick County)
Listed in National Register Nov 4, 2009

Architect: F. H. Penley, Builder
Category: single dwelling
Thematic Nomination: Residential Resources of Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS, 1870-1957

The Penley House was built in 1917 on a 20-acre tract at the east edge of Wichita. Its long driveway was lined with trees and stretched west toward Hillside Street. The Classical Revival-style house is dominated by a two-story Greek temple portico supported by four colossal Ionic columns that extend over the galleried porch on the front elevation. The property was subdivided in 1941 for residential development in response to the city's World War II-era housing shortage. Today, the house sits on just one-half acre and small mid-century Minimal Traditional-style residences now flank what was the long driveway. It was nominated as part of the "Residential Resources of Wichita, 1870-1957" multiple property nomination for its Classical Revival architecture.



New Search