Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Linwood Place Historic District

Picture of property 2002-2156 S Hydraulic Ave; 2001-2157 S Kansas Ave; 2021-2187 S Minneapolis Ave; 2101-2282 S Minnesota Ave; 1902-1964 E Stafford Ct; 1902-1908 E Hodson St.
Wichita (Sedgwick County)
Listed in National Register Dec 3, 2013

Architect: Garvey, R. H. and Willard
Category: domestic
Thematic Nomination: Residential Resources of Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS, 1870-1957

The Linwood Place Historic District is a 40-acre residential neighborhood on Wichita's south side near the city's aircraft-related industrial area, and it includes 90 fourplex buildings, a maintenance shop, and four unrelated and non-contributing buildings. The complex was developed by Ray Garvey and his son Willard of Builders, Incorporated. The firm specialized in constructing affordable housing in Wichita during the booming post-World War II years. They closely followed the requirements mandated by the Federal Housing Administration that involved appropriate location, access to commercial services, access to bus and automobile routes, local zoning and siting requirements, and street design. The district was nominated as part of the Residential Resource of Wichita, 1870-1957 and Historic Residential Suburbs in the United States, 1830-1960 multiple property nominations for its local significance in the areas of community planning and architecture.



New Search