Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

South Kansas Avenue Historic District

Picture of property 220-224 South Kansas Ave
Wichita (Sedgwick County)
Listed in National Register Mar 26, 2020

Architect: Raymond P Pinegar
Category: domestic
Thematic Nomination: Residential Resources of Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS, 1870-1957

The 200 block of S. Kansas Avenue was initially developed during a time when the city was experiencing explosive growth that led to the neighborhood and commercial expansion outside the city’s core. Development along this section of East Douglas, one of the city’s main east/west thoroughfares, followed the establishment of Wichita’s “Auto-Row” on E. Douglas immediately east of downtown and coincided with the selection of the south side of the 2200 block as home to Wichita’s new high school, built in the 1920s to serve the eastward-marching Wichita population. In addition to reflecting the city’s eastward growth and resulting residential development, the S. Kansas Avenue Historic District represents the work of local contractor Raymond P. Pinegar.



New Search